Friday, February 5, 2010

Fishy Fish Entry #17



I was so excited about my Bolivian Rams Cichlids. I couldn't wait to get them in. It was going to be soooo cool. They were suppose to come in today if the LFS could get some from the Cichlid breeder.

I had the tank all set up... nitrates and nitrites were 0, ammonia... 0, pH 7.4, but it was doable for Bolivans.

I used water from my main tank when I started getting it cycled to help it along, I was doing everything right.

today I went to see if my Bolivians were in. I was given a bag with two cichlids.. they were SIMILAR to Bolivians, but I wasn't sure they looked like the pictures I've seen. They were pure white. I was told they're just stressed, and once acclumated, they'll be fine.

After acclumating them I allowed them to free swim in the tank. then I got a call from the fish guy (who wasn't there at the time...) "They gave you the wrong fish, those are German Blue Rams. they are much tougher to care for than Bolivians." I was like "great" they are already free swimming. so now what?

I went down to check on them, and they had their color and were swimming around.

Now my concern now is that I need to get the pH down. the pH is at 7.4 which is ok for Bolivians (unless you are breeding), but you need to be much lower for Blues. However, Blues are so sensative, you can't use chemicals like pH down without great risk... so now it's like... ok now what? A lot of the natural cures for pH will cloud the water or discolor it. I was told that I have to get the pH down because the Blues will waste away in such high pH.

So who knows.

I don't.

I'm just trying to do what I can to keep the fish alive, cause they are very pretty.







No comments:

Post a Comment