Friday, January 15, 2010

Fishy Fish Entry #1



I decided to start a journal for my aquariums because they change every day. I love animals of all kinds. I have two dogs (a bichon and a bichon mix, both rescues) two conure parrots. (loud and mean... but they have personality) and many fish.

In my main tank I have two mollies... a male and female named Sakura and Naruto, three black neon tetra named Ein, Spike and Jet (named after characters from my favorite anime 'Cowboy Bebop'), 6 X-ray bellies I just call "the 6-pack" because they school together, and two Long Nose whiptails named Umi and Ai.

In my other tank I have a Betta named Genesis (after a character from final fantasy VII designed after and voiced by my favorite J-Rocker, Gackt) and a snail named Gary the snail (after Spongebob Squarepant's pet snail) lol I was out of names.

In the main tank I've had a bit of an ick problem. Sakura had several white spots on her tail and Naruto had a few dots on his tail and body.

Ein, Spike and Jet also had a small bit of ick... the rest were uninfected. You hear a lot of horror stories about using ick medications like coppersafe... so I went for a more natural treatment.

After a water change, I added 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water, and raised the temp a few degrees.

the next morning, the ick was gone. All of the infected were spotless... and no one was stressed out by the added salt. I'm leaving it in for a few more days before doing a water change and slowly weening out the salt. I just want to leave it in for a bit longer until I know the Ick has all been killed.

if it comes back I'll try the treatment again, only I'll add in a very low dose of ick medication.



the sailfin is Naruto my boy Molly. The other Molly is my little girl Sakura. As you can see, this is about a day and a half after treatment started. not a spot on either of them.


here's 6-pack. They never got ick which made me happy. the biggest one swimming out of the picture is "leader" (leader of the pack - get it?) He's only shiney like that cause of the flash.


These are my Ein, Jet and Spike. As you can see, they too are ick free. They are my originals, the first fish I got since moving to my new place. (so they are at least 5 months old now.)


No there are no two Gary the Snails... just one and his reflection. lol I don't care what people think. I think snails are kawaii! (cute)

It's very hard to get a pic of my whiptails umi and ai... but I'll try to eventually get one ^_^

of course, last but not least... here's Genesis, my lovely betta fish.










No comments:

Post a Comment